True Colors

In contrast to many of the other stories and articles i have found this one made me smile. Cyndi Lauper (the “girls just wanna have fun” singer) is helping establish Manhattans first permanent housing for homeless lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth in Harlem.

Kids all across America and even Canada are coming out at greater numbers at a younger age, the shelter will contain 30 studio apartments, a communal space, a library and a computer room. This brain child of Laupers is accepted to cost $11 million dollars. Although it is not a free ride for the residents, they will be expected to pay rent according to their income.

When I first read the article I never even thought about having a homeless shelter just for LGBT youth that have been kicked out of their homes. And then i think back to my introduction and the question of the issues that it behind social justice. By the house being built in Manhattan I defiantly think the issues will be given exposure especially when a pop icon like Cyndi is sitting giving life to this project. I was also shocked to hear that in New York alone there is 15,000 and 20,000 homeless youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment